Friday 15 January 2016

WASTEMAN OF THE WEEK: 037


WASTEMAN OF THE WEEK - LIP SYNC BATTLE

Crap TV is weird isn't it. Like the way that people who enjoy watching TV will just watch whatever is put in front of them. Maybe I just don't enjoy variety act shit as much as the every man and my overbearing sense of self tells me I'm right. It's been a good few years now and I'm still trying to figure out (regardless of how fun you say the old boozy couple are) that people are spending the one life they have on earth watching Gogglebox.

That aside, fast forward to 2015 and Jimmy Fallon is all over your Facebook feed with his hit and miss skits from his talk show. One of which, Lip Sync Battle has been took on and turned into a stand alone show with huge success. LL Cool J has been dusted off and brought in to host, Chrissy Teigen is the eye candy 'DJ' and celebrities (like really massive A list celebs) guest and lip sync to a song. It's become so big that they've swiftly adapted it and roped in the usual British TV presenters and made a UK version. Truly incredible stuff. I caught half an episode over Christmas and gave it a little go and I couldn't believe my eyes.

I don't understand the pull of it. I don't understand how people can sit and watch it. I think maybe for like the first 30 seconds it's entertaining but then it's like beatboxing. However good it is you just want the real thing. Watching Channing Tatum dressed as Beyonce performing one of her songs is fun for about 4 lines of a song, and then I'm over it. It's insane how big this show is right now when the content is so empty. I've got a feeling it's going to be around for a very long time. The maddest thing is in research I've just had a little look to see who was responsible for the show. I guess producer is such an ambiguous term it's hard to pin point their exact role but I was very dissapointed to see that Stephen Merchant and John Krasinski (Jim of the American Office) are the Producers. I'd expect better of both of them.



No comments: