Friday 30 October 2015

NEW YORK: PART 3

Here's the third and final part of the stuff I saw in NY!

We were going for breakfast at like typical, shit breakfast dives most days. I still cannot understand how meat and syrup can taste so nice together. It's like the pancakes bridge the gap. I don't get it.


We visited the Yankee Stadium for a tour. Pretty sick, steeped in history even though it is the new one, the tour was obviously more about the clubs legacy than the actual building.


This guy was puuuure cracked out when we got in the queue to go in. Just a little reminder we were in the Bronx now haha.




Memorial park was at the back of the field and had little plaques dedicated to legendary players.



Baseballs signed by every New York Yankees player.


One thing that was true of New York is that they were sports mad. Like with basketball, American football, hockey and now soccer most sports having at least 2 New York teams, there is just sport constantly on, everywhere. Everyone is so proud to represent their city and it spills over into the sports culture. People everywhere, all the time wearing Mets jerseys and Nicks hats.


The subways were cool. I guess mainly being in Manhattan I didn't see the mental crackheads I wanted to see. Maybe next time I'll go stay in the Bronx.



On the Thursday we went to Madison Square Gardens to watch New York Rangers host Arizona Coyotes in the hockey.


The homeless are odd in NY. People just kind of leave them to it, and they don't beg you and shout things at you all the time like they do over here. I imagine more so than our parents generation, people of that age have grew up around a lot of homeless people in New York, and they seemed to be part of the cities identity.


We went to Hooters to watch the Liverpool game and eat before going to MSG. I had a blue cheese and bacon burger, it was pretty good.


Dan's steak and cheese looked so so good. I should have just got this.


The hockey was sickkkkk. Our seats were pretty high up but they were dead in the middle, we had such a great view of the game.


It was cancer awareness week in American sports, and this girl who was like 13 and was told she would never walk again came out to sing the national anthem. She does dance and shit now, she was just killing it. Everyone gave her a standing ovation and cheered for her so loud. It was such a moment.




couple mandem


As we came out of MSG we had a little mooch around Times Square at night. It was so so lit up.


It was so exhausting, there was so much foot traffic. Just non stop people all the time.




Some of the police had these sick little one man electric cars. It's got the bar for the flashing lights on the top and I assume, with that, a siren. I wonder how fast they go. Can't really imagine chipping down the highway chasing an escaped criminal in this, can you?



Yeah same


The next morning we went to a batting cage. I was so sore for days after. Obviously didn't warm up, why would you bother? It was pretty fun. Felt all inspired and shit after touring the Yankee stadium.



I'm going to find it so hard to convince my kids not to just hammer fizzy pop and throw sweets into their faces when I'm still gonna be about that when I'm old


This was pretty cool. We stayed in Little Italy on out last night.


Obviously went out for a quick sloz



All fucking week I was getting nosebleeds. It was mental. Imagine being me, in New York, trying to be all cool and give the nightlife a bang and I get a fucking nosebleed in the club. Imagine that. What a fucking born nerd.


T with a big pizza. I really fucked it on our last day. we ate out three times and every single time I got something so so shit compared to the other lads.

Since I've been writing my blog and photographing food for it I've affected this weird annoying trait where if one of my friends is going to order the same thing as me I'll change my order usually. Because I want to see as much of the food as possible. I did this here and I fucked myself over. I'm going to change it as of TODAY


Cinnamon Jolly Ranchers. What a time to be alive. I wish British confectionary companies took cinnamon as seriously as American does.


I found this hipster doughnut and coffee place near china town when we were mooching about on the last day. Look at this fucking doughnut! I was so sickly and nice. Man, the food in NY was incredible.


I don't think i've ever had so long to wait from booking a holiday to actually going on it, and NY really didn't disappoint. I felt completely knackered when we got back, Dan had a pedometer (lol) on some app on his phone running by accident and we were walking 25-30 km per day haha. It was so tiring, I feel like we fitted so much in. If you've never been and you like city living, and like visiting London and so on you'd love it. It's hectic and exhausting but I cannot wait to go back.

No comments: